Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Opportunist Short Review

The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher

Olivia Kaspen has just discovered that her ex-boyfriend, Caleb Drake, has lost his memory. With an already lousy reputation for taking advantage of situations, Olivia must decide how far she is willing to go to get Caleb back. Wrestling to keep her true identity and their sordid past under wraps, Olivia’s greatest obstacle is Caleb’s wicked, new girlfriend; Leah Smith. It is a race to the finish as these two vipers engage in a vicious tug of war to possess a man who no longer remembers them. But, soon enough Olivia must face the consequences of her lies, and in the process discover that sometimes love falls short of redemption.





My Review:


This book was a complete and utter mindfuck! Wow. Can't quite decide what to say about it. I loved it.. I would've liked a happy ending, but that's life and everything's not all sparkles and rainbows.

I think that after the first time you give your heart away, you never get it back. The rest of your life is just you pretending you still have a heart. (loc. 5632)

There were so many amazing things about this book. The back and fourth writing, the different POV's. Fisher makes you fall in love with Caleb then breaks your heart over and over. Her writing is funny at times, and depressing at others. My heart hurts, I wish things would've turned out differently.

I liked Olivia. She had a troubled life, and was afraid to get hurt.

I was a relationship retard. I kicked, shoved, and punched people out of my life, so they never had a chance to hurt me. (Loc. 1709)

I can relate to her being guarded, and only thinking of her own pain, all the time pushing Caleb away. She thinks the worst of herself, when deep down she isn't that bad. In the end she wants what's best for him.

There was a certain amount of swoonworthy-ness to it, but with the present and past narrative, its hard to keep up that feeling.

It, truly, was a great read, but now I have such a book depression! I would highly recommend reading this book.





4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have this on my list to be read like soon - maybe next week! Thanks for the review! :)

Julie

Eva @ All Books Considered said...

You MUST read the second book, Dirty Red! I just finished it and holy #$@*!!! Incredible!!

Unknown said...

I really want to read it, but don't know if my heart can take it..

Unknown said...

I love mind fuck reads!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...