Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer Review

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I have to start by saying this is very enthusiastic 5 stars review! This book had everything.. mystery, love, suspense, humor, and death. I honestly didn't know what to expect when I bought this book, the blurb alone was mysterious. The hype about it is well deserved. Michelle Hodkin wrote a beautifully captivating story. It was extremely balanced, with well placed moments of LOL hilarity and nail biting suspense. I love how some parts of the book are still a mystery; unlike other paranormal books, there are several chapters of explanations of powers, where they came from, and development of their powers.

The main character Mara, wakes up in the hospital, with no memory how she landed there. She was in a building when it collapsed, there were three others but they didn't make it. Suffering with side effects of PTSD, Mara's family decide to relocate to Florida.

Mara starts a new school, and soon meets Noah. He gorgeous, yet cocky. In the words of Mara, Noah is a "asscrown.. top of the asshats that also covers assclown." He eventually charms his way into her heart and they soon discover that both are hiding secrets and there is more than meets the eye.

This book has to be one of my favorites of the year!


In an effort to get an ARC of The Evolution of Mara Dyer, I wrote a shot passage:



Daniel’s Dread
This is a short scene, after Daniels first meeting with Noah..

As Noah walked out of the band room, I couldn’t help but wonder why Mara had peaked his interest. I had a doubted telling him about her, but I made sure to keep it short and simple. I didn’t neglect the whole “hurt-my-sister-and-you’ll-die speech.” Though, I doubt I could actually hurt a hair on his head, not to mention it would go on my transcripts.

“Man, she’s gonna kill me when she finds out.” Mara’s been through enough. I shook my head and started toward my next class. All of this was my fault, the moving, the building, and worst of all, Mara’s crazy mental state.

None of this would have happened if I would have stopped her from leaving that night. I heard Jude at her window that night and did nothing to stop her from leaving. I am her older brother for god sakes! I was supposed to protect her, look out for her.

Instead I let her go. Silently hoping she would get busted. I had tried so hard to do well in school, and there was Mara a kindred spirit. Sneaking out at night, with a boy, to do who knows what. The negative thoughts sent a shudder through my spine.

I will not let her down again, she was my baby sister and I cannot see my family suffer any longer. I adjusted the straps on my book bag and meandered into class.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I absolutley loooovvveeeddd this!!!!!! Michelle would be CRAZZZYYYY NOT, to give you an arc!!!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you Hallie :) and I really hope so!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...